Thursday, 31 March 2016

The Mortal Instruments: City of Glass (#3) | Book Talk



Hello Lovely! I'm back again! After three posts this week, I bet you completely sick of me!
Yesterday I posted a little book recommendation of City of Bones and City of Ashes, book #1 and #2 of the mortal instruments series! Today I am writing a book talk about City of Glass, which is jam packed with spoilers, so if you haven't read the first two, back away from the book talk!!!

*Lots of spoilers!!*


City of Glass

To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters - never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.

As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadowhunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadowhunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her newfound powers to help save the Glass City - whatever the cost?


City of Glass has to be my favourite of all the books in the series so far, I honestly loved it!

These are a few comments I had, and some of my favourite bits!

Okay, I spoiled myself on the big plot twist, by reading the synopsis of the next book, which told me that Jace was finally Clarys boyfriend. So I figured either incest was taking place, or they were not in fact brother and sister! Knowing this, I had kind of figured out who Jace was at the end of the last book, with the whole inquisitor business. This is why through pretty much the whole book, I was screaming at Clary and Jace every time they wanted to be with each other but thought they couldn't. I'm not kidding, I did screech a couple of times! I did not however, have a clue who the real Jonathan Morgenstern was!

You know the scene, during which Jace and Clary have just jumped out of the Morgenstern manor, and Jace was covering her so she didn't get hit by debris? I was fangirling so much, screaming, not just at how frustrating the forbidden love was, but screaming because they said screw that and finally let their feelings out! Oh, and because they had a cheeky make out sesh! But, to make me seem less desperate and weird, lets just say I was aww-ing at them letting their feelings out, and not them making out! Haha.

Lets just take a moment to talk about Sebastian. Even though I was spoiled, I had also heard that Clary dates another boy for a while. When reading this book, I figured they meant Sebastian. So yeah, I thought he was quite sweet and mysterious and that he would end up helping her get over Jace... yeah, no, boy was I wrong there! Even when the hair dye came of in Clary's hands I hadn't picked up on what was really happening.  It took me until he bopped Isabelle over the head with a hammer to realise that 'hey, maybe this guy isn't sweet and mysterious, and is actually a psychopath!'

I really liked how Jocelyn arrived into the series. You don't really see much from her side of the story throughout the first books, of course because she's in a coma, so some of it was guess work, and hearing stories from other people. I was surprised at how happy I was with the fact Clary didn't immediately forgive her mother, because you wouldn't, would you? After she hid this whole other part of you away, you wouldn't simply forgive her right away. You would want some explanation of what happened. And that's what Clary got, and I really enjoyed hearing about Jocelyn's side of the story, and how she dealt with these problems that Clary is only just finding out about.

I loved the ending of this book! Everything ties together so well, with Jace going after Sebastian, and Clary going after Valentine, to be reunited in the midst of it all. When Jace was fighting, I knew something bad was going to happen, and then, well, it did. Jace died. But of course I knew he was somehow going to come back, because the synopsis of the next book was all about Clary dating Jace, so I wasn't too worried. I just didn't really know how she was going to bring him back! After all that Clary has been through, she brings up the courage to write that last rune, and stop Valentine. When Valentine died, I was so confused, because I thought the whole series was about them trying to kill Valentine - but then he just died. I was okay with that though, because that meant Clary got to have her wish and bring back Jace! At the time though, I just wasn't too sure how the rest of the series would play out.

Most of the mystery seems to be tied up, Valentine is dead - so where do I think its going? I think that Sebastian isn't dead, and that he will come back to get his revenge on Jace and then all hell will break lose. If you can't find the body of the bad guy, that usually means they aren't dead! I think that Simon will run into trouble with the whole 'mark of Cain' and being cursed business, but also with the ladies, as he is such the little ladies man now!



Well, that's all for today! I will be posting a new book talk when I finish the next books in the series! So keep an eye out for those! Until next time,

2 comments:

  1. Love it! Even though I have just got so many spoilers I really really want to go and buy this book! It sounds so good.Looking forward to your next book talk

    Sophie Jane | goo.gl/ABgcLI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so ashamed that I spoiled you. I am now going to crawl into a hole! But thank you, aha! x

      Delete